Thursday, April 22, 2010

Day 2 - Patient

Day 2 – I began today debating going to urgent care after not sleeping last night due to my fall. I decided to go thanks to prodding from a few friends. You can’t just ‘go’ to urgent care – it is an event. My friend was gracious enough to take me and off we went. After waiting 30 minutes or so, someone came to get me for X-rays. I had so many X-rays, I’m surprised I am not glowing. However, I did hurt multiple extremities. We were in the urgent care for over 3 hours and walked (I use that term loosely) out with an ace bandage on my left wrist, a half cast on my right wrist and an air cast on my right ankle/foot. They aren’t positive about fractures but at the very least it is severely sprained.


As I sat there for hours waiting results and relief – it struck me kind of funny when a little boy asked his mother what a patient was. She fumbled over trying to explain the meaning. However, you have to laugh a little…urgent care is the ultimate definition of patient. One woman was ready to leave, another was yelling at the nurse, and meanwhile there was squad car after squad car with yet another patient. While you are a patient in that situation, it is very difficult to be patient.

The nurse I had today was a woman we have had before in that urgent care. She looked relieved to see my friend and I because her day had been one horrible experience after another. Even while we were there, she went to give me a right handed brace and it was left. Then she went to give me an air cast and it was a pediatric one in an adult box. The poor woman needed a smile, grace and true patience. We gave her a place of rest and laughter and I truly feel like that is why we were there today. Even though I was hurt, the experience was about being a light in her day. I’m grateful that God used us even in the goofiest of circumstances and that I was not so focused on the pain that I missed it. We get so self-focused that we miss the little blessings along the way. The sooner we realize it isn’t about us – the better off we are.

Romans 1:20 (The Message)


But the basic reality of God is plain enough. Open your eyes and there it is! By taking a long and thoughtful look at what God has created, people have always been able to see what their eyes as such can't see: eternal power, for instance, and the mystery of his divine being.

No comments:

Post a Comment